Thursday, August 5, 2010

"Housekeeping"

I always find it a little strange when people who have blogs that no one actually reads write like the whole world is reading, but I think I'm about to do it. Also, you know how on the first day of class when the professors go through the syllabus and various other organizational and administrative junk and they refer to it as "housekeeping"? Why do they do that? Is anyone vacuuming? Cleaning out the refrigerator? Doing a load of laundry?

Well, regardless, I feel compelled to set the stage for this here blog, now that I've had it for three months and have done virtually nothing with it.  I've been re-inspired, I suppose.

I need to write; I love writing; I reflect best through writing.  When I'm thinking, when I'm really putting my best effort into it, I write very "tightly" - I pack a lot into concise sentences and turns of phrase.  When I'm just sort of meanderingly (?) reflecting, I can be very long-winded.  Sometimes I'll even go back and edit these later, because they end up annoying me when I'm not so emotional.

Nonetheless...my goal here is to try to make sure I write for at least 10 minutes a day about...something.  (I use lots of ellipses, which I think is actually reflective of how I talk, and how I think.)

I'm writing because I need a place to write down the things I think I think (stealing from, at minimum that NFL column in Sports Illustrated, but probably somewhere older than that...)  I'm going to try to stay relatively anonymous here, mostly because of what's called the "candidacy process" in the ELCA. 

I'm going to be writing about whatever I feel like writing about: the wrap-up to CPE, internship, stuff I'm reading or thinking, the strange parts of my life, whatever.  I'm a writer, and I want to write, and so I can, should, and will write.

I haven't really told too many people about this blog, just because, well, I don't know...But I'll probably tell others about it as I get more comfortable with the idea of blogging, and possibly also less paranoid.   And I'll be linking to people much cooler and worth reading than I. 

If you're here and want to comment, please be charitable.  Ascribe the best motives to me and others, and I'll do the same for you.  Heed the admonition in the comments form.  The internet does a lot of good, but it is also a really mean and nasty place, and I don't want my little corner of it to be that way.

So, enough cleaning the windows for now.  Onward and upward!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Comments Policy: "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law." Galatians 5:22-23