Friday, September 3, 2010

Friday Night Lights

I've lived in this town for two days.  Who would have thought I could be so invested in the high school football team already?  But there I was, out on the sidelines (well, behind the rope), under the lights, being eaten alive by mosquitos (which, by the way, are like flocks of chickens around here), jumping and clapping and screaming with everyone else.

We kicked butt in the Homecoming game, and are now 3-0.  Apparently this team hasn't won three games total in the last two years or something, so it's super exciting. 

It's also a little bit nostalgic, because I haven't been to a high school football game, well, pretty much since I was in high school.  I might have gone to the Homecoming Game my freshman or sophomore year of college, but that would have been all.  And the guys here play in a deep blue (brighter than my alma mater, but blue all the same), with white and just a teensy bit of red, just like my school.  And everyone was screaming "Go Big Blue!" just like at my school.  Standing behind and off to the side of the guys reminded me of my super fun days as a student athletic trainer in high school.  I was suprised by how much the jersey numbers had stuck with me.  I was looking up and down the sideline, and in my head thinking, Aaron, Ryan, Grant, David, Chad, Brandon.  I sort of had to stop myself, at one point, from yelling "Run, Andy, run!" when #2 zipped up the sideline, reminding myself that I don't know that kid, and his name probably isn't Andy.  (It wasn't.) 

It was so fun to see the guys be all excited about an interception, or a really solid hit.  Especially small town football, where probably nobody is being scouted for D-1 schools, way better than college, where everybody's trying to get to the NFL, and certainly not the NFL where it's all about money and egos.  This was just plain fun.  It was also really cool to see how excited the community was.  Even little kids were screaming and cheering for players by name, rattling off stats, etc...It was great. 

This is going to be an awesome year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Comments Policy: "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law." Galatians 5:22-23