Friday, November 19, 2010

And Now, a Word From Our Sponsor...

er...supervisor.

I just want to give a shout-out to my supervisor.  He freaking rocks.  I get the sense that internship supervisors (like pastors in general, I suppose) are all over the map, so to speak.  Some are really helpful, some are fine, some are awful.  Some want you to learn by doing, and trying, and succeeding, and failing, and just generally figuring it out for yourself, with their guidance along the way.  Some will kind of let you do what you want to do - they'll support you at whatever level you take the initiative.  Some want you to learn by watching them do everything.  Some want you to have it all together.  Some get that internship can be rocky and are there to support you.

Now, my supervisor is 90 miles away from me, so I don't see him every day for constant support, advice, and guidance.  But he's very open about being available 24/7; I can call, text, email, or Facebook him; when we meet for supervision once a week, he just says, "So, how's it going?"  And then I talk for the next hour, and he just listens.  And if I say, "I'm sorry I'm talking so much, I just don't have anybody else to talk to during the week," he says, "That's what I'm here for, to give you a chance to process and talk, and if you need to, you can call me anytime just to chat, if you're lonely and just need a conversation."  Bottom line, he is so supportive, and great at giving specific praise and affirmation, which is really helpful for me.  I'm super glad I've got him around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Comments Policy: "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law." Galatians 5:22-23