Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Girl on Girl Violence

Well, this is a new one.  Granted, I should have expected it long ago, but it finally came directly to me. 
"[Martin] Luther and [Regin] Prenter use a lot of masculine imagery and language, so those students who are women won't resonate with it as much."  
For reals?

This is just so damn offensive. 

The worst part?  This was uttered by a woman.  Honestly, where do women get off telling other women what they will and won't resonate with, for any reason?

Am I so weak and fragile that I can't "resonate" with Luther and Prenter because they speak in masculine terms?  Luther????  Maybe women shouldn't be allowed to be Lutherans, if that's the case.  We can't possibly resonate with his theology because he writes with such masculine imagery.

Yes, I am struggling to keep my head above water with some of these readings.  But not because I "can't resonate" with them.  Because I can't understand them.  Because they are hard.  Right now, the only thing giving me a shot at understanding Prenter is that I've taken enough theology classes from Catholic institutions that I can - in an extreme emergency - navigate my way through theo-philosophical mumbo jumbo.

Now.  Maybe being a woman means I'm dumb, and that's why it's difficult for me to grasp this stuff.  But I still don't see what that has to do with masculine language and imagery, unless it the masculine language and imagery itself that makes the whole thing so intellectually difficult.

But even if it is: I am so tired of other women fighting battles "for" me, that I never asked them to fight.  Get away from me.  Stop making assumptions about who I am and what I want and what I believe and what I need.  You don't want me doing it to you, stop doing it to me.

Eh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Comments Policy: "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law." Galatians 5:22-23